The Hazleton City Authority was organized on November 1, 1938, under the Municipal Authorities Act of 1935. The Authority was initially organized as an industrial authority to purchase a portion of the Duplan Silk Building to keep it from being torn down with consequent loss of employment.
Hazleton City Authority acquired the Hazleton Water Company on April 19, 1943. This water company had been incorporated December 31, 1937, as a merger of six predecessor water companies as follows:
Up until the 1937 merger, these six companies had been operated by the Wyoming Valley Water Supply Company, a subsidiary of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company.
The Authority is administered by a Board of Directors, consisting of five members with staggered terms of office. Each member is appointed by the City Council of the City of Hazleton. The present members of the Board are:
|Tim Farley||Vice Chairman|
|Dave Sosar||Assistant Treasurer|
|Phil Andras||Assistant Secretary|
The Hazleton City Authority employs 40 full time employees to provided services in the areas of water treatment, distribution maintenance, accounting, billing, and management.
The Hazleton Division is a surface water system and obtains raw water from four reservoirs, a well field, and the Lehigh River (2.5 mgd allotment from the DRBC). All water for the Hazleton Division is pumped to the Authority’s 10 mgd filtration facility located at 400 E. Arthur Gardner Parkway, Hazleton, Pennsylvania. The filtration plant was constructed in 1993 and went on-line on August 25, 1993.
In addition to the Hazleton Division the Hazleton City Authority owns and operates three small well systems. These well systems supply several small villages in the Delano Division, Tomhicken Division, and Derringer/Fern Glen Division.
[ Home ] [ Facilities Description ] [ Source Water Information ] [ Water Quality ] [ Projects ] [ File Downloads ] [ Contact ]